Thursday, August 14, 2008

Odin's Tree Quilt


quilt 004
Originally uploaded by AlwaysInspired

So I'm not really a quilter, but when inspiration hits I usually follow it. I made this for a swap, but I just had to share it. The tree represents the tree Odin was hung on for 9 days in Norse mythology. During those 9 days he learned the Runes, which are quilted around the edge of the quilt. On the tree is a bird, squirrel, and lizard to represent the different elements. I appliqued the tree, leaves, and creatures on to the quilt top and left the edges raw so they will fray a bit for texture. The back is the solid brown you see around the edges. The Runes are quilted in a very cool fall toned variegated thread. I'm super proud of this and can't wait to send it off.

For closer pics click on the picture to visit my flickr site.

2 comments:

Digital Misfit said...

AI, that is a stunningly gorgeous quilt. Love the subtle detail of the runes around the border. The tree is just beautiful - you have a VERY lucky partner!

BopBop said...

this really is a stunning quilt! I love the tree even though I don't really know anything about mythology!
So I'll just admire the pretty aspect of the quilt(all of it) and the time you put into it. :)
Great job!
You give me hope that I could do something like this one day.
Eliea