Thursday, April 16, 2009

Venus in miniature


Venus side
Originally uploaded by AlwaysInspired
I did this mini canvas for a personal swap on Craftster. It is another of my 2x2 canvases. The person said they loved the painting "birth of Venus", but just wanted my take on Venus's face. They also gave me a great reference pic from the web. I used the reference pic and free handed it to the canvas and then painted! I'm so happy with it, especially since I am not very good at human faces or forms. She received it today and loved it! I think I could fill a whole gallery with these little works of art!

5 comments:

Aveen said...

So very cool - the recipient is a lucky girl!

Nichola said...

Fantastical!

I have to say that you've inspired me to go out and buy some wee canvas' (I'm far too lazy to make them) I now have 8 wee things sitting here waiting for me to do something with them,

Anonymous said...

way cool! How do you make the canvas so small??

Glenda said...

That's just beautiful!! I love how the painting continues around to the side of the canvas. I don't draw or paint, but it's sooooo tempting to give that a try.

AlwaysInspired said...

I make my own canvas. My hubby cuts small blocks from thin plywood for me. I get the duck canvas from our local shoe repair store. I stretch and staple with an upholstery stapler. I like to add the eye hook at the top, but am thinking of adding the more traditional wire hanger to the backs of some in the future.
Yay! Knicker! I can't wait to see!