Sunday, May 6, 2012

WIP Sunday: Memories Of Grandpa

My Hubby's Grandpa passed away before Christmas. It was a hard time for everyone as it was very unexpected. A while back I called Grandma and asked if it was alright for me to get a few pieces of Grandpa's clothes to make something for his very first great grandchild. She agreed and we drove out for a visit a little over a week ago and she let me pick out 3 shirts and a pair of overalls. I brought them home and they sat for awhile folded on my sewing table. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to cut them up. I contacted my quilty mentor for some advice and she kindly spent a day designing me a pattern! I couldn't have done it without her! (Thanks Norma Lee!) I have the top all finished and will be taking it to my long arm quilter tomorrow so she can help me decide on the best way to quilt it. Memory Quilt
It turned out lap sized so that Hamster will have it forever and never outgrow it. Grandma helped me choose shirts that had a bit softer colors and I added the colored setting squares to make it a bit more girlish. Sorry it looks so wrinkled! It needs one last good press before heading to the quilter!

I had just enough of the overalls left to make one more little special thing. A pinafore jumper! It is for size 6-12 months and can become a top after it is too short to be a dress. I found the pattern on Pinterest!Grandpa's Overalls Jumper

The overalls were a bit stained from hard work, but that makes them all the more special. I had to do some creative cutting to have enough fabric so the under back flap is cut with the stripes going the opposite direction. Also I included a back pocket on the back flap just for fun. The lining is some blue cotton that looks like hankie print!

Grandpa's Overalls Jumper Back





















Wishing everyone a fun filled Sunday! I'm off to think up something new to make!

2 comments:

Barbara/myth maker said...

What a wonderful way to preserve memories. So sorry about your/hubby's grandpa.

Nessa the Procrastinator said...

What a wonderful keepsake! I especially love the dress. It will be so wonderful when she wears the dress and you can tell her all about her great grandpa.