Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Dream Begins

My Hubby and I are going to embark upon a project together! I'm pretty excited that we have found something we can do as a team with a wonderful end product. We've decided to start working on a 1962 GMC pick up truck. We don't want to restore, but make it our own. A custom hot rod or rat rod if you will. We have big dreams and know it won't be done over night, but with a little elbow grease and a new cause to save money, we'll band together and have a blast.

Here she is sitting in the junk yard.
The Dream Begins
Mostly surface rust and just a couple small dents. My Hubby's uncle does body work so he has all the tools we'll need to work on it. I plan on getting my hands dirty and learning a thing or two.
GMC Front
The front end is pretty cool looking. I really like the lines of the truck. It isn't a special year or model. We just like the look of it. Not something most people would consider even being worth restoring or messing around with. We plan on a new grill and having it and the bumper copper plated!
GMC Rear
We'll change a lot about the back end I'm sure too.
GMC Interior
The inside is in pretty great condition. It won't be a manual when we're done, since I can't drive a stick. Also I can't wait to pick out fabric to have that seat recovered!
The jar for the sewing machine fund is now being re purposed to hold funds for the new truck. I'm ready to start the tear down, but it has to wait for a bit longer. I can't wait to have a new bad ass hot rod to cruise around in!




4 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fun project to take on together! Do you know what color your going to paint it yet? What about rust? I thought things were ruined when they rusted? Who knew ;0) You'll raise this baby from the dead! Have a great time and look forward to seeing pictures of the process.

AlwaysInspired said...

The truck will be painted flat black with copper plated accessories. The rust is all surface rust which can be sanded off before paint. The body is really in good shape. Nice and solid. There are 2 areas that he rust is through, but those will be patched with panels. The body work is the last of our worries right now. Saving money for a motor is first!

Jaclyn Trecartin said...

What a fun project!!

--Jaclyn T
Enter my giveaway for a handmade pouch http://positiveponderings.blogspot.com/2011/07/end-of-school-giveaway.html

Paula Jo @ Home and Garden Decor said...

You and your husband will have so much fun fixing up this pickup. We bought a old pickup for my son when he first started driving. Him and his dad restored and supered it up. Looked fantastic when they were done, and I could always hear my son coming home from 3 blocks away. Fun memories. Have Fun!!!